Wednesday 8 February 2017

My depression&Anxiety story

Where it all started


This is my own personal depression & Anxiety story. I know not everyone's is the same and I want you to know It does get better. 

I got diagnosed in October 2008, I was 23. Scared and alone, Going through a tough time in my old job and struggling with realising I was a lesbian and not fully accepting it. I finally had 1 day at work where I had a customer be abusive and I cracked and finally admitted I wanted to cut my wrists and jump out the window. A phone call later and my best friend and work mate telling me she would come with me I had my first doctors appointment. I was scared and felt so alone. 
 The appointment came around and me and my best friend went and I must admit I was lucky I had a good doctor, I was put onto my first anti depressant and signed off work for 4 weeks with an appointment a week later. I ended up being signed off for 6 months and counselling and more appointments and sleeping tablets. 

I am still on medication now and almost 33, I think this illness will never leave me. I must admit I have more good days now than bad but the anxiety is always there. I also don't think that will ever leave me. I just learn to deal with it, I had a great therapist who helped me learn breathing techniques and I have medication that helps me too. 

I am holding down a job albeit 8 hours but at the moment I don't think I can handle anymore, I am physically drained by Sunday evening and It takes me a few days to feel up to doing anything. I still have the best friend who came with me to the appointment, I would never of gone if she had not come along. She also did most of the talking as I got emotional. I owe her the world, She really is an incredible person.

So if you feel you are struggling please please please find a friend and make a GP appointment, I know it is scary but honestly once the first bit is out the way they can help you. I have included some links too and places you can get advice. And also some of my favourite Youtubers who focus on Mental Health issues.





Text: 86463
0300 123 3393





No comments:

Post a Comment